Customs documents 

Are You going to export? Then You often must deal with Customs documents. We provide as much information as possible about the different types of Customs documents to ensure that You are prepared as well as possible. 

Why a Customs document? 

If You export goods outside of Europe, You are entitled to the 0% VAT rate! You must of course be able to prove that the goods have left Europe. With an EX-A or EU-A document You prove that this is the case. It is not for nothing that a Customs document is often called an Export document. It determines the status of the declaration with Customs. 

  • Requests for customs documents must always be made digitally at customs.
  • The customs then assess the declaration and determine whether the goods can be exported. During a check, the goods must be physically present at the same place as stated on your declaration. If the goods are not present, you run the risk of a fine from the tax authorities.
  • Does the customs agree? Then the goods may be transported to the location where they are leaving the EU, for example the port.
  • The customs document is scanned at the last border within the EU.
  • As soon as the goods have actually left the EU, you will automatically receive the Confirmation of Exit.
  • With the Confirmation of Exit you can then prove to the tax authorities that you have correctly invoiced 0% VAT.
  • One-time authorization 
  • Copy of the invoice (of vehicle) 
  • Border crossing point where the goods leave the EU 
  • Location of the goods in the Netherlands (Customs can carry out a check) 
  • Copy vehicle registration number (in the case of a vehicle) 

Which Customs documents are there? 

There are 3 different Customs documents, all with the same purpose, but depending on the export to other countries. All 3 Customs documents serve as proof that the goods have left the EU and You are entitled to the 0% VAT rate. The choice of the correct Customs document depends on the destination of the goods. 

EX-A Customs document 

Do You export goods to a country outside the European Union? Then You need an EX-A document for that. Apart from the 9 countries with an EU-A document. 

EU-A Customs document

If You export goods to an EFTA country or one of the 5 other countriesyou need an EU-A document. 

  • Switzerland (EFTA)
  • Norway (EFTA)
  • Liechtenstein (EFTA)
  • Iceland (EFTA)
  • Turkey
  • Macedonia
  • Serbia
  • Andorra
  • San Marino 

CO-A Customs document

This document is needed for various parts of the country within the European Union, the various overseas island groups. Think of the Canary Islands. 

Arrange all your documentation easily and quickly via our online application

With our application you can easily create any desired document and you have all your documentation in one convenient location that is always available. If you create an export document, the system immediately shows whether a EUR.1 import document is recommended and you can also request it directly.

Export documents

If you are going to export it may also be that you still need export documents. This is different per country. We are happy to tell you more about this on the page about export documents.
Read more about export documents.


AEO certificate

We have the AEO certificate Customs (Authorized Economic Operator). After a strict procedure, the Dutch customs Cargo has awarded the C (customs simplification) certification. The AEO certificate is an international recognition. This naturally brings benefits. Consider faster processing, priority checking and a lot of time saving! Read more.